Short description of the program
The master’s program is designed for individuals of any specialty who want to study the field of digital media production and communication in depth. The program is suitable for those who are studying journalism / mass communication at an undergraduate level, as well as for those who decide to change the specialty at the master’s level of education and obtain a new profession.
One of the main goals of the Master’s program in Digital Media and Communication is to intensively teach digital media, as multimedia journalism, which combines text, video or audio production as it is becoming more popular in Georgia as well as the development of Internet media. In the modern Western world, there is a trend of media convergence or the process of breaking down the boundaries between different types of media. Thus, teaching media and communication is unimaginable without web technologies.
According to the results of the employers’ research, it was determined that, the master’s program in “Digital Media and Communication” should provide specialists in the field of media and communication according to the needs of the media industry who, on the one hand, have deep and systematic knowledge of modern digital media trends. They will develop practical skills needed for multimedia journalists and at the same time will be equipped with in-depth knowledge of the basic theories, innovative forms or methods of mass communication.
The goal of the program is to prepare:
Qualified and competitive specialists relevant to the modern media industry in a rapidly changing digital environment with in-depth and systematic theoretical and practical knowledge in digital media and communication. A graduate who possesses practical skills needed for the digital media industry: visual news/discourse techniques or forms; Ability to prepare various platforms and create multimedia materials; Ability to conduct research and social media analytics; Ability to process data and visualize them;
A graduate who will continue his / her life-long study due to the needs of the rapidly changing digital media industry – gaining current knowledge, refining it and mastering new technologies. Also, prepare postgraduate students for the next stage of academic education – to continue their doctoral studies in the field of digital media, as well as in mass communication or media research.
The master’s program was prepared within the framework of the “Media Education Support Program” funded by the Embassy of the United States of America in Georgia. Digital Media Courses are designed in analogy with Loyola University (Chicago, Illinois) Master of Digital Media and Visual Storytelling. Within the framework of this exchange project, Georgian professors had an opportunity to get an experience of their American colleagues in Chicago, which was followed by several return visits to Georgia.
Prof. Dr. Richelle Rogers, Loyola University Media Studies Master’s Program coordinator took an active part in the development of this program, in determining its learning outcomes. It was through his consultations that the syllabi of the compulsory digital media courses were designed.
Students are given various opportunities to participate in the exchange program for undergraduate study, based on memoranda signed by the International Black Sea University with many Western universities.
Field of employment
The master’s program will train competitive specialists in digital media and communication. The knowledge and skills acquired by graduates will enable them to respond to the challenges of modern media and communication.
Graduates will be able to get employed in both – online and traditional media organizations (television, newspaper, magazine, news agency); Public relations services in public, private or non-governmental organizations as multimedia journalists, producers, social media managers, etc.;
As the program, in addition to the development of practical skills, provides a deep and systematic theoretical knowledge in media and communication, it is a good basis for future pedagogical or scientific activities. Graduates will be able to continue their studies at a doctoral level, if they wish.
Candidates for master’s degree who are citizens of Georgia are required the following to be admitted to the program:
- Bachelor’s or equivalent academic degree;
- successfully passing the general master’s exam;
- Passing intra-university exams in the specialty;
- Passing the B2 level foreign language intra-university exam;
Please, consider the following!
- Applicants who have an international certificate proving their knowledge of a foreign language at the B2 level are exempted from passing the foreign language exam;
- The applicant is exempted from passing the foreign language exam if he/she has completed a foreign language educational program;
- For candidates who are not in Georgia, the admission exam(s) for the master’s program can be conducted online;
- In case of equal points, the GPA of the master’s degree candidate is considered in terms of the contest conditions;
- Exam(s) in the specialty are conducted in the program instruction language.
- Application form;
- 2 photos (3X4) (printed and in electronic form);
- Notarized copies of the diploma and the appendix, or the certificate issued by the relevant higher education institution on awarding the degree and a consolidated mark sheet (the IBSU diploma does not need to be notarized);
- Applicants with higher education overseas should present notarized translations of the diploma and appendix, as well as documentation confirming their international education;
- Copy of identification card/passport (for citizens of foreign countries – notarized translation);
- An international certificate confirming the level of proficiency in a foreign language/a document confirming the academic degree obtained as a result of the completion of a foreign language program – diploma and appendix (if any);
- A military registration document issued in accordance with law;
- A Common Master’s Degree Exam Card.
For foreign citizens, see the link:
Degree to be awarded: Master of Mass Communication
Language of instruction: Georgian
Duration and credits: 2 years, 120 ECTS
Tuition fee for Georgian citizens: 4500 GEL
NOTE: Candidates registering between 20 and 31 August and signing a contract between 11 and 16 September will receive a 30% discount.
Candidates registering between 11 and 18 September and signing a contract between 25 and 27 September will receive a 15% discount.
Tuition fee for international students: 9900 GEL
If you have already earned the right to pursue a Master’s degree at the International Black Sea University, you will receive a 20% discount if you enroll in the registration period specified by the Graduate School. This grant is not subject to the terms of grant maintenance.
For Ukrainian citizen:
A citizen of Ukraine who enrolls in any educational program of the University (at all three levels) will receive a 50% discount on the tuition fee during the study period specified in the program. (4 years for bachelor, 2 years for master, 3 years for doctorate).
The discount applies to:
A) students who will be enrolled from 2022 – 2023;
B) restores the status:
Tel: (+995 32) 2595006 (117)
program coordinator, prof. doc. Dali Osepashvili